Lydia Sweatt is a writer who loves balancing her article/blog time indoors with a healthy dose of nature. She bikes, hikes, and identifies edible plants along the way.
Ask an AI Coach: 19 Popular Questions (and Answers) About Growing on YouTube
In this article, we won’t be answering your YouTube questions — not that we don’t want to 😉!
It’s just that this time, we’re letting our AI Coach take the lead. This is one of our newer YouTube tools, and it exists primarily to answer all of your questions about growing a channel. It can also fix your video titles, write short video scripts, and help you flesh out your content strategy. All you have to do is ask!
So what are people asking our AI Coach? What questions (and answers) can you expect from a machine that “lives” to help you become a successful YouTube creator?
Just keep reading. We’ll show you the most popular questions asked by creators and how our AI Coach responded. You’re about to learn a lot about YouTube growth!
1. “What type of YouTube channel should I create?”
AI Coach: The type of channel you should create depends on what you're passionate about and what content you will enjoy creating and sharing. Think about what topics you're interested in and would enjoy learning more about or talking about.
Additionally, consider what type of content you would like to make and what value it can give to your audience. Once you have an idea about the focus of your channel, consider the types of content you can create, like tutorials, reviews, interviews, vlogs, tips & tricks, and how-to videos.
2. “Should I cover multiple topics on one channel or explore each topic on separate channels?”
AI Coach: That's an interesting question! It really depends on what your overall goal is. For example, if your goal is to grow a broad audience and have a variety of topics covered in your content, then it may help to cover multiple niche markets in one channel. If you want to focus on a specific market and build a strong brand presence, then creating branded channels for your content might be the better route.
Having a separate channel gives you the opportunity to create a clear brand identity and focus on the niche audience you are catering to. Additionally, you can use cross-promotion to draw viewers from one channel to the other and vice versa. However, it will be up to you to experiment and see which strategy works best for your channel.
3. “What are YouTube keywords? Why do I need them?”
AI Coach: YouTube keywords are words and phrases related to your content that viewers are using to find your videos. It's important to find the right keywords and to include them throughout your video titles, descriptions, tags, and other metadata so that your videos show up in the right searches.
4. “Do keywords matter for YouTube Shorts?”
AI Coach: Absolutely. Just like any other type of video, keywords play an important role in YouTube Shorts discovery. Optimizing your keywords will make sure that your videos appear in the right search results, allowing you to reach more viewers and build your channel. To get the most out of keywords, choose ones that are related to the topic of your video and use them throughout the video title, description, and tags.
5. “Tell me some tricks about the YouTube algorithm?”
AI Coach: A few tips on understanding the YouTube algorithm:
- Likes, comments, and views are the three most important signals for the algorithm to decide which videos to prioritize.
- Content that is generated almost daily, or at least on a regular basis, will help create a schedule for subscribers, which the algorithm will recognize.
- Watch time is also a major factor. The longer a user stays on your video, the more it will be shown in the future, so make sure to keep your viewers engaged.
- Interacting with other creators will help create more exposure for your channel as well.
- Check your video analytics to get an understanding of how your content is performing so you can adjust and optimize your strategy.
6. “My videos used to get thousands of views and now they don't. Why?”
AI Coach: It's possible that your videos no longer get thousands of views because the landscape of YouTube has changed. Over time, YouTube's algorithms have become increasingly sophisticated, meaning that viewers are now seeing more personalized recommendations based on their interests and past viewing history.
In order to increase the number of views your videos are getting, it's important to stay on top of trends and create content that is relevant to what's popular right now. Additionally, optimizing your titles, thumbnails, descriptions, and tags can help ensure that your videos are being recommended to the right viewers.
7. "Will I get more views by uploading more videos?"
AI Coach: Absolutely! Creating regularly scheduled videos can help you gain more reach by providing consistent content for viewers, which can increase your subscribers. It will also help you maximize your discoverability on YouTube, as the algorithm favors channels that upload frequently and have a large selection of videos.
Additionally, creating regularly scheduled videos will help you build an audience since viewers will know when to expect your content.
8. “How do I make my YouTube Shorts go viral?”
AI Coach: To make a YouTube Short go viral, you need to focus on creating a video that is engaging and attention-grabbing for viewers. Make sure you start your video with an interesting hook that will make viewers want to watch more. Optimize your video by using the right keywords in your title and description so viewers can easily find it. Share your video on other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, and also consider collaborating with other creators who have a similar audience.
Finally, create a compelling thumbnail that will draw people in and engage with your audience as much as possible.
9. “What kind of YouTube Shorts can I create in 10 minutes?”
AI Coach: Here are a few ideas for YouTube Shorts content that you can do in 10 minutes:
- How-To Tutorial: Film yourself demonstrating something simple, such as creating a pizza from scratch or stitching a button.
- Q&A: Ask your viewers questions, then film yourself answering them.
- Documentary: Tell a short story in a short documentary format.
- Short Film: Shoot a short film that is creative, funny, or uses different types of effects.
- Unboxing: Unbox something new, then review it and let your viewers know what you think.
10. “I want to monetize my channel with either Shorts or long-form videos. Which requirement is easier to satisfy for the YouTube Partner Program: 10 million Shorts views or 4,000 watch hours?”
AI Coach: In terms of difficulty, 10 million Shorts views is generally easier to achieve than 4,000 watch hours. To reach 10 million Shorts views, you'll need to create content that is short and engaging, with a focus on optimizing for algorithms and trends. Whereas for 4,000 watch hours, you'll need to produce more longer-form content that is watched for longer periods of time by your audience. This requires more strategic planning and creative ideas to keep viewers engaged.
11. “What is the best time to upload a YouTube video?”
AI Coach: The best time to upload a video is going to depend on your target audience and the type of video you're producing. Generally, the most successful YouTube videos are uploaded during peak hours for your target demographic and time zone.
It's also important to take into account which day of the week the video will be posted, as certain days tend to generate more viewings.
Finally, the topic of the video should be taken into consideration when determining the best time to upload. For example, if you're creating content related to current events, it would be more beneficial to post the video when that topic is trending.
12. “How can I reach more subscribers on my YouTube channel?”
AI Coach: As with any online platform, having a strong foundation is key to success, and YouTube is no different. Here are some tips to help you reach more subscribers on YouTube:
- Use high-quality thumbnails that grab the attention of viewers.
- Have a consistently branded profile or channel.
- Optimize your titles, descriptions, and tags for search engine optimization (SEO).
- Leverage social media to drive engagement and increase your subscriber base.
- Use analytics to measure your progress and refine your tactics.
- Sponsor other content creators and collaborate with others in your niche.
- Respond to comments and interact with viewers.
- Engage with the YouTube community and participate in trends.
- Promote your YouTube content in forums, on websites, and in other online communities.
- Offer viewers incentives to subscribe, such as exclusive content or giveaways.
13. “What is the optimal video length?”
AI Coach: The optimal video length really depends on the content that you want to share and the goal you have for your channel. Generally, you'll want to keep your videos around five minutes or less so that viewers won't lose interest. However, if you're creating a video series or a tutorial, then you'll want to create longer videos that cover all the necessary information.
14. “How do I get more impressions on each video so more people see my content?”
AI Coach: Getting impressions on your YouTube channel is all about optimizing your videos for discoverability and visibility. To do that, you need to create a good title and thumbnail for each video, which should grab attention and encourage people to click.
You also need to make sure the keywords you use in your titles and descriptions are relevant to your content and help YouTube's algorithm find your videos in search. Additionally, consider connecting with other creators in your niche and building relationships with potential viewers. This will help get your videos seen by more people and boost your impressions.
15. “My titles and thumbnails are really good, but my YouTube videos aren't doing well. Why won’t the algorithm promote my content?”
AI Coach: I understand how frustrating it can be when your videos don't seem to be performing as well as you'd like, even when you know your thumbnails and titles are good. This could be due to a variety of factors, from not optimizing your content for the algorithm to not having enough engaging content.
I recommend taking a look at your videos and asking yourself if there is anything that could be improved. It could be something like creating more engaging content, optimizing for the algorithm, or even just creating better thumbnails and titles. If you need more help, you can always reach out to me and I'll be happy to help!
16. “How can I encourage people to watch my videos for longer?”
AI Coach: Great question. Retention is key to successful growth on YouTube, so it's worth investing some time in this. One of the best ways to increase retention is to create content that is relevant and engaging to your target audience.
You can also optimize existing videos, add intro “hooks” to keep viewers engaged, create playlists to keep viewers watching, use annotations or cards to push viewers to other related videos, etc.
17. “Where is the best place to ask people to subscribe within my videos?”
AI Coach: The best and most effective place to ask viewers to subscribe is at the end of your videos, preferably on an end screen. A call to action, such as, "If you enjoyed this video, please don't forget to hit the subscribe button and join our family" or "If you liked what you saw, please subscribe to join us," can be added to the end screen of your videos.
It’s also a good idea to add a subscribe link in the description box of your videos so that it is easily accessible to viewers who might not see the end screen.
18. “How can I promote my channel?”
AI Coach: There are many ways to promote your YouTube channel, so it can be a bit overwhelming to decide which ones to focus on. Here are the main strategies I recommend for promoting your channel:
- Leverage other social platforms: Share your videos on other platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Create a message for your brand: Make sure that your content aligns with the message you want to convey about your channel.
- Network with other YouTubers: Connect with other creators in the same niche and collaborate with each other.
- Advertise your channel: Invest in paid advertising like Google Ads or Facebook Ads to reach a larger audience.
19. “How do I audit my channel?”
AI Coach: Auditing your YouTube content is an essential part of having a successful channel. Here are some key points to keep in mind when conducting an audit:
- Check how your videos are performing: Analyze the watch time and views of your videos. Check how many times a video was shared, liked, and commented on.
- Analyze your target audience: Use Google Analytics to identify your target audience and analyze their preferences.
- Evaluate your content: Review your content and make sure it is relevant and up-to-date.
- Optimize your thumbnails: Make sure that your thumbnails are engaging and enticing for viewers.
- Test your strategies: Monitor the performance of your content over time and test out different strategies to see what works best for your channel.
- Analyze competitors: See what other channels in your niche are doing and take inspiration from them.